Friday, June 28, 2013

Amsterdam

I'm not gonna lie, the amount of times I've walked past a postcard stand and considered just sending postcards to my friends, family, and boss saying I won't be coming back number in the...well, every time I walk past a postcard stand. If everyone I loved could just start living in other countries, thusly removing the incentive to stay in one place, I would really appreciate that.

Amsterdam apparently has the exact same climate as Vancouver. I know this because it turns out one of my colleagues from a pop culture conference I attended last year moved from Vancouver to do his Masters in Amsterdam, and he lives a block away from our hostel. What are the odds? So yesterday we got a tour from a (semi) local. He brought us to a free university where we all had to pretend to be Dutch students. It fell apart when it became obvious none of us speak Dutch, but they insisted on feeding us anyway.

Today I saw the narrowest house in Amsterdam (reportedly, the owner is taller than his house is wide), sampled aged gouda, saw the outside of Anne Frank's house, and then met Patti Smith, the gravity of which I would have appreciated more if I knew who Patti Smith was. No I know it's shameful. But hey, I met her, and got to watch her sign her name in a book that I was pretending belonged to me but actually belonged to the man with the leopard-spotted fauxhawk (yes) standing in line behind me. So that was cool.

In just over 24 hours I will be packing my bags for the last time. I'm already compiling a list of places to go the next time I come to Europe, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment