Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Regina won't know what hit it...

I have once again been accepted into the Trash Talkin' Pop Culture Conference at the U of R. The fact that they had record numbers of submissions this year and I still managed to get in makes me feel like I should make some self-deprecating joke about not trusting the judgement of the organizers, but let's face it, undervaluing onesself is so passé and I'm too awesome for that anyway.


I will also add that anyone who doesn't get excited about the adventure that is Regina clearly has never tried to drive there in mid-March before. Last year we were stranded on the highway en route to that infamous city in a blizzard that lasted for hours. Even trying to leave the car for a pee was an adventure. When I told my parents I was planning to bring a jar and a funnel with me this year, they looked at me doubtfully, but hey, that's just how Regina conference-goers roll; we like to live in the danger zone.

Other things I plan on doing in preparation for my Regina trip:

-Strengthen my ability to withhold information from people so that when the time comes the first story I'll be telling my Regina cohorts will NOT involve me peeing in a jar on the highway in extreme weather conditions.

-Continue strengthening my ability to withhold information so that the second story I tell my Regina cohorts has nothing to do with my constant battle against my cat's skin condition. In fact, if I don't mention my cats at all this will probably be a good thing.

-Make sure to bring along the U of R tote bag I was given last year so I'll look like one of the locals and everyone will mistake my bright-eyed confusion as a passion for learning while I run around the University halls on a Saturday afternoon looking for the entrance to the conference hall.

-Learn more about curling; today I realized there is an entire section called Curling News in Regina's local paper. Clearly this is a big deal. I'm sure I committed a great faux pas by not bringing up curling last time I was in town, and I'm amazed that they invited me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment