Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Thanks for the Gym Shorts and Have a Nice Day!




Living in Winnipeg is like living inside a gigantic clothes dryer with several hundred thousand other people. In the summer, we are constantly blasted with extremely forceful gusts of warm summer wind that do their best to knock over signs and embarrass anyone who is still naive enough to wear a wrap-around dress on a windy day. At times, the wind can be a pain, but when it comes to drying clothes I find it quite handy. At least, I did, until today.
My clothes-line is strung from a second floor window to the specially-designed, several-meters-high clothesline post at the edge of the back alley. At such a height, I catch full benefit of the wind, rendering me clothes that are not only dry but seem to be steam-pressed at times as well. Of course, when the wind is too...enthusiastic, bad things may happen. A few weeks ago a neighbour turned up at our back door to return a bra that had blown into the back alley. I spent the rest of the day wondering if it would be more awkward to receive one of my lacy bras or one of my You Can Bet I Have a Matching Set of Granny Panties to Go With That-type bras to be returned to me in this manner.

Today I returned from a complicated little field trip to our Food Bank Farm to find that while I was gone the wind had assaulted my neighbour's yard with not just one small and lacy item of clothing, but every single piece of workout-wear I own*. The neighbour had kindly draped an array of sweatpants and jogging shirts across his fence for me to collect, but I still had to scale the chain-link to retrieve one errant pair of shorts from beneath his car. 

*I don't understand why it was just my jogging outfits. Apparently lycra is resistant to clothespins.

No comments:

Post a Comment