Friday, July 22, 2011

Summer Lesson#1: If it's meant for your genitals, it will cost more

I have decided to compile a list of things I have learned this summer. The first lesson I will share with you is something that I learned just today, less than an hour ago, when I wandered into our upstairs bathroom and discovered that there is now an extra razor in the bathroom.

I have this theory that my brother probably shaves because he doesn't have very much facial hair, but I've never come across a razor in that bathroom other than my own, which is cute and pastel green and white and is a Schick Quattro (for women!!).The thing that floored me (yet is probably a no-brainer to most other people) was that Ben's razor is the exact same kind as mine, save for the fact that it is black and silver and goes under the testosterone-injected name of Schick Titanium.
And it really was the exact same razor, from the Four Blades (Each stroke glides gently over your skin. With four precision blades, it’s synchronized to give you ultimate comfort with every pass of the razor. Now that’s smooth!), aka the "4 titanium coated blades that stay sharp to reduce irritation"-- to the Bikini Trimmer--"Stay Neat and Trim
The waterproof trimmer provides a neat, clean look & feel for your bikini area. Now you’re ready for a day at the beach or a night on the town. Or a night in with someone special (wink, wink)." (from Quattro for Women), aka the "Adjustable 4-level trimmer" that "helps create and maintain every look." (from Quattro for Men)

Not only did I learn that women supposedly like to read way more words about their bikini trimmer before they buy it, whereas men only look for the words 'definitely not a bikini trimmer', but I also learned that a Quattro for Women Trimstyle sells on Amazon for almost $10, whereas the Quattro Titanium goes for a measly $3.99. Some people might look at this and make the conclusion that if a product is made for women, it will cost more. I choose to look at it in blunter terms: if it is made for your genitals, it will cost more. How did I draw this conclusion? Well, what's the biggest selling feature of the Trimstyle? The bikini trimmer. The thing that is meant to trim the hair off your genitals. Watch an add for the Trimstyle and you will see that it is the only advertised selling feature of the razor. Does the Titanium give the same attention to the 'adjustable 4-level trimmer'? Don't worry, I won't make you watch the ad. The answer is no.

Schick isn't the only one who uses the 'price is proportional to the amount of time product will come in contact with genitalia" logic, though. Look at the case of underwear vs bras. Granted, if you wanted to buy a really amazing bra you could be out a couple hundred bucks, but the cheapest La Senza bras start at around $9.99, and the prices for La Senza underwear start at around $7.50, which is pretty darn comparable. This is strange considering one is a lacy, padded, molded piece of engineering made to (or at least, completely ineffectively attempt to) defy gravity's pull on a woman's breasts, and the other is a glorified napkin held together by a rubber band. And yet, the latter is meant for your genitals; thusly, they can charge whatever they want for it and people will buy it!

And yes, I could still turn this into some sort of feminist rant because I'm sure it has more to do with vaginas than it has to do with genitals in general, but that is besides the point of this post. The point of this post is, Ben just bought a razor with a bikini trimmer on it, and he paid half as much for his as I did for mine.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta disagree with you on the bra thing. It's not about being really amazing -- I pay a small ransom just to get a bra that fits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking along the lines of a bra that fits IS a bra that's really amazing, but then us smaller chested women will never fully comprehend the plight of our more well-endowed peers.

    ReplyDelete