Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Stein 101

After all the confusion at the end of last semester, I ended up in this dizzying course on Gertrude Stein. We couldn't have a more perfect professor to teach the course. Half my notes are actually about her, and not the author at all. I haven't decided if this will be a problem or not.

"Who would like to hear me sing Gertrude Stein's favourite song? I don't know the tune but I thought I'd improvise."

"Who here knits? Raise your hands! I knit sometimes. When the Gulf War started I was so mad, so mad that a war like that could start in my lifetime that I just had to knit, and the only thing I could knit was a scarf so it ended up being very long . I wore it on the bus once but I had to wrap it around my neck so many times I started to strangle in it. So I gave it to the girl who lived next door and she turned it into a lovely dress!"

"There is no exam in this class! No quizzes! The quiz is the puzzlement of being together in her presence. If you'd like to form an orchestra, please do so."

"This is a lovely secretion you have made!" (in response to what I wrote for our in-class assignment)

"If we had some drums in here it would be helpful."

No comments:

Post a Comment