Sunday, November 21, 2010

Winter sweats.

Winter has finally struck Winnipeg. I view winter as generally a nice thing, provided that I am inside admiring it and not outside trudging through it to get from point A to point B. From afar it's beautiful. When I'm walking through it, it causes a body-centred paradox, in which I feel both freezing and too warm at the same time. My body reacts to this by shaking and sweating profusely as I walk (also my airways close up but that's besides the point). When I arrive at work, I am drenched in icy sweat. I feel like I am standing in an igloo. An igloo that happens to contain an industrial sized oven in it. After an hour I change from being frigidly cold to steamily hot, and I spend the rest of the day in a sauna steam suit of my salty sweat*.

When I'm at winter-school**, I attempt to fix the sweat-soaked dilemma by stuffing toilet paper into my armpits. The idea is that the toilet paper will be a nice, dry, protective barrier between my skin and the worst of the sweat, and sometimes it even works, but then it begins to travel. At the end of the day I end up with interestingly shaved toilet-paper lumps that have lodged themselves somewhere between my abdomen and my hips, like very papery misplaced lovehandles. I often consider inventing some sort of sweat-absorbing device***, something like an inverted cotton shoulderpad that I could stuff down my sleeves and snap in place to keep me relatively comfortable at all times of the school day.

Anyway. My point is that it's been snowing all weekend and it's beautiful!


*alliteration!
**as in, school that is taking place in the winter. The properties of winter-school are rather different from normal-school. The abrupt and bizarre temperature changes that occur as I travel from room to room make for a very odd learning environment.
***Like a change of clothes? Of course not!

No comments:

Post a Comment